Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update on Mom

Just thought I would take a few minutes to update everyone on Mom. She started her first round of chemo yesterday. She is no longer part of the clinical trial which would have meant chemo five days a week. Instead she will only have chemo on Mondays. She did pretty well yesterday afternoon but it made her sick overnight. She will have two more rounds of chemo and then they will reassess to determine the next step.

Many of you have asked about what Mom wants to eat. She is mostly only eating watermelon and cantaloupe and drinking smoothies and milkshakes. Occasionally she will ask for other things. The meal train has been such a blessing. A big thanks to the people who have already brought meals, Karen Farr, Sarah Joy Smith, Tracy LeGrand, Nancy Dover, Carolyn Brewer, and Kayla and Justin Bell. It has been great for Dad to have meals every night and good for him to get some visitors. I know that we are all concerned about Mom and her health, but Dad really has a big job as her primary caretaker and boy has he stepped up to the plate. I just want to make sure that he is also taken care of even though I can picture him rolling his eyes as I type this sentence. A big shout out as well to the best neighbor in the world, Mary Long, who is always showing up at the door with goodies. Mom ate up the watermelon and cantaloupe Mary brought that was cut into neat little scoops. I don't know why, but a scoop of watermelon must be better than a slice. She ate a bowl last night and one this morning. I need to find one of those scoops!

I've added a few weekend days to the meal train simply because at this point Mom doesn't need to be left alone and Dad needs to eat. Blake and I really do appreciate the generoisty of everyone during this difficult time. All of the food, emails, calls, and texts surely let us know that we are not alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment