Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Good Old Fashioned Research

How do kids get to the fourth grade and not know how to use an encyclopedia? I love the Internet, but sometimes you just need a reference book. Yes, yes, I know that I am the grand-daughter and daughter of two fabulous librarians, but I just can't believe that kids don't know how to look up a person or battle in an encyclopedia!

You may be wondering what caused me to jump on my soap box all the sudden. Well, my class has started research projects, and it has been a challenge. I guess it is difficult for teachers to teach research skills without the proper materials in their classrooms.

I have been successful with two Donor's Choose projects this year, thanks to the help of many of you. Now I'm trying for a set of encyclopedias for my classroom. I have 5 months to raise over 500 dollars. Why are encyclopedias so darn expensive?!? You can follow our progress on the blog! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Nana Brown would be proud! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment